September 18, 2012 in Division I
After flirting with a job with the Orlando Magic and then ultimately deciding to stay at Eastern Michigan, Rob Murphy is now set to get a contract extension with the Eagles. Pete Cunningham of AnnArbor.com breaks down some of the details:
His new contract gives him tens of thousands of new reasons to succeed in his time with the Eagles, and increases bonuses already in place.
Among the new bonuses:
- Murphy will be owed $7,500 if the Eagles reach theCollege Insider Tournament or College Basketball Invitational, and $2,500 for every win in said tournaments.
- …$10,000 if the Eagles have a top-four finish and $5,000 for a top-five finish in the Mid American Conference Tournament.
- …$25,000 if he wins the Naismith Men’s College Basketball Coach of the Year award.
- …$5,000 if the Eagles at any point during the season appear in the ESPN Mid Major College Poll. Only eligible once per season.
- …$10,000 if the Eagles are ranked in the top 25 of the Associated Press or ESPN Coaches poll at any time during the season. Only eligible once per season.
The full contract document is available here.
That’s not a bad deal for Murphy … he basically parlayed one solid, if unspectacular, season and some promising incoming recruits and transfers into more job security.