When I haphazardly launched this site at the beginning of April, one of the things I wanted to make sure I periodically did was communicate with readers. I won’t do these ‘newsletter’ posts every single month, but I’ll try to do them when I have some site news or want to get some feedback, and the one-monthish mark is a good time to do one.
First off, I just want to thank everyone for the response so far. I’ve heard from a few coaches, players and writers who I have a lot of respect for. Although the vision for what I want this site to develop into over the next few months is still evolving, it has been reassuring to get positive feedback on the modest stuff I’ve been able to get accomplished so far. Basically, the more people read the site, the more it will grow and the more content I’ll be able to provide. So if you’ve stopped by here, if you like what we’re trying to build, please, share the link and tell others about us. Also, if you’re on Facebook and/or Twitter, like us and/or follow us.
As for the site itself, we have enough content posted now where I can explain the navigation some:
- As you can see on the main navigation bar, we have the typical ‘about’ type links, and then our coverage is broken down into categories. You can click those links and find everything we’ve written on those topics.
- Similarly, you’ve probably noticed that names of players and coaches in posts as well as names of schools/teams are links. You can click on those links and they will take you to everything we’ve written on that person or team.
- We’ve launched one recurring series — our ‘Mr. Basketball Remix‘ posts — and we’re launching a new series that I’m pretty excited about this week. Stay tuned for that.
- I’m always looking for guest posts, if you want to write something and have a good idea. MHSAA historian Ron Pesch wrote about the Retro Mr. Basketball program. Feel free to pitch me ideas. As long as they have some connection to basketball in Michigan, I’m willing to listen. Email me at patrickhayes13(at)gmail(dot)com.
- We ran our first Athlete Diary this month. Mott Community College basketball player Anthony Sissonwrote about the experience of winning a national championship. If you’re an athlete at the high school, college or pro level and would like to write a diary post for us, email me.
- Get in the comments! The more feedback we get, the better the site will be. Earlier this month, I wrote about a few Michigan players who are now pros in Iceland. A commenter pointed out that I missed one, and I was able to add to my original story. Other commenters and emailers were also very helpful as I compiled the High School All-Area roundup. Comments/criticisms/tips are always welcome and appreciated.
- Check out our Store. It has stuff in it now! Well, by stuff I mean stickers. But it’s better than nothing, right? So when you make a $3 donation to the site through PayPal, I can now at least send you a token of appreciation. You can also order the two books I’ve written there and soon, we hope to have t-shirts. Again, no pressure to donate. If you do though, I am very grateful as the money will help pay for hosting and other minor costs associated with running a website.
So that about brings us up to speed. Thanks again for reading and feel free to use the comments on this post or email me directly if you have suggestions or story ideas.